Sunday, October 10, 2010

Thing #8

Wow who knew this world of wiki's would be such an amazing resource for teachers? I am intrigued by just the few that I visited from the list that we were given in this activity. I wish I had many more hours in the day to keep researching new wiki's and blogs. This can start to consume all of your not so extra time. It is very exciting but scary at the same time to look up and realize how much time you have spent reading and searching on the computer just for one topic.

I have been trying to figure out a time and way to incorporate the Kindergarten Counting wiki into my math centers. I think I can have a counting center and the numbers that are missing we ccould count out objects of that many and take a quick picture. Then when they rotate and go to computers we could load the picture and add to the wiki. The kids would enjoy this... the actual wiki did not have very much to it... it was very simple compared to the other I researched. Great for simplicity for the little ones not a lot to click on or distract them, however not a great one for adults to disscuss or find links on to other resources.  This wiki made me feel like I could create one similar and use it with the little people.

The next wiki that I visited was Salute to Suessand this one was a little overwhelming to a newbie. Tons of links, resources, disscussions, kids examples, dates as to which to skype and celebrate Dr. Suess. Great ideas and a very creative resource but maybe a bit much for someone like me just getting started. I do like how it was organized just tooo much information.

The last site I wanted to mention was primary math wiki. Great idea to help teachers post lessons and love the pictures and videos to show others how to do the lessons. This wiki has a lot of information but is easy to follow and I even find it welcoming to educators to post leesons on for all to enjoy. It is organized in a way where anyone can follow a long and not feel stressed trying to find a lesson.

I do feel like I could create a wiki for Kindergarten that students and techers could possibly use together. I have all of the ideas spinning in my head right now as to which one i would want to create first. I think we could easily do a themed writing one and it would even be easy for the parents to follow at home. The best part about it is it's free for all involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment